Let’s look at some examples of marketing intelligence techniques.
Let’s say that competitor X is a big player in your market. You’ll want to gather some market intelligence on this competitor. So you deploy tools and techniques to learn:
- What hashtags they use on social media
- What keywords they target in AdWords
- Which social media platforms they dominate and how
- What kinds of content they create on their website
- How visible they are in search engines
- What consumers they’re targeting
- What they’re doing with email marketing
- What they’re saying about you
- How they stack up in online reviews
- What influencers, news sources, customers, regulators, etc. say about them
When you understand what the competition is doing, you can develop strategies to do it better.